Sunday, September 21, 2008

That Darn Cat

Tycho is an indoor/outdoor cat. He normally goes out at night, hunts, and then comes back in the morning. Sometimes he brings us mice. About 2 weeks ago he went out but didn't come back the next morning. He stayed gone all day, and most of the next night too. The whole time he was gone I was kicking myself for not having a collar and tags on him (and I was nearly convinced that he was dead).

The day after he came home I went and bought a collar. I figured that I'd make him wear just the collar for a week or so before I'd bought the tags to put on it. That way if he got the collar off it would just be a lost collar. He wore the collar for a week, and never took it off inside or out.

The tags I bought online arrived yesterday. Last night I let him go outside confident that if anything happened to him, at least he'd have ID and someone would let me know. The guilt I felt for not doing this sooner finally disappeared.

This morning he came home without his collar. I could have strangled him.

No comments: