On Sunday the Primary sent Nils home with a service advent calendar. It is a bunch of strips of paper with activities listed on each one, and as we complete them we make the strips into a paper chain. Yesterday's was to write a letter or draw a picture for someone you care about and give it to them.
Nils decided he wanted to give his picture to Lily, a girl in his class. He drew the picture, and asked me to write out the words "Lily you're my best friend" on a card so he could write them himself on her picture. I was all full of warm fuzzies while doing this.
Later he came to show me his picture, and we started talking.
"Is Lily your best friend?"
"Yes."
"So you play with her a lot" (I asked because I've been trying to figure out just who he plays with at school, so maybe we could invite them here to play someday).
"Uhhh.... Lily doesn't play with my every day."
"But she plays with you sometimes right"
"No, she doesn't play with me." At this point the warm fuzzies were gone. "But she will play with me after I give her this picture."
"Maybe so."
This morning after dropping Nils off at school, I hung around in order to spy on him at the playground. He gave Lily the picture. She took it. They stood there awkwardly for a little while. Lily kept talking to her friends, and Nils wandered off to look at things by himself.
Sigh.
1 comment:
Rejected by a girl friend. Bummer.
Post a Comment